Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Client Spotlight

SPOTLIGHT ON…… Shaun Olsen!
January 2017!!



My name is Shaun T. Olsen and you may know me, or you may know someone very like ‘me.’  I was the person who would run, but never really did it just to do it because it made me tired.  I was also the person who would never really lift weights because it made ‘my arms or legs hurt.’  However, if you told me to go play a soccer game or something, I could run for miles and not even notice it.  I know, I’m strange.

When I was younger, I was fairly active and I participated in a few sports and played the trombone in band and orchestras.  While I have struggled with weight over the years, the small level of activity helped keep me, somewhat, in shape.  However, as I got older and participated in less physical things, I started to take on a new ‘shape'.

Over the years, I tried to do some things to work on it. I’ve bought elliptical machines, rowers, a bow flex; I’ve tried diets; signed up for classes, etc... While I’ve gotten some benefit out of them, nothing has really gotten me over the hump.  Throughout all this, no matter what I did or how much I hated getting clothes at what I called ‘the FatMan Store,’ I didn’t know what to do and I just kind of gave up and started to get around 300 pounds.
Even after all the research and failed attempts at change, I never even realized that I simply didn't have the knowledge of how to really make the change.  Not too long ago though, I received an e-mail from Ian that said he was starting up a new class called the 14-day Fat Furnace. I thought I’d give it a go since I definitely had some fat to furnace.

The fat furnace was just under two months ago now, and I’ve worked with Ian since roughly 2 or 3 times a week since.  In that short amount of time, I’ve lost some weight, I feel much better, my blood pressure is consistently normal without a hint of hypertension, and my resting heart rate has gone from the medically polite version of not good to excellent.  Of course, those are the side benefits.  The big benefit is that I’ve gone down two pants sizes and a shirt size, so I got to go clothes shopping in ‘regular’ stores instead of ‘the FatMan Store!’ 
Normally at this point of starting something new I’d be frustrated by the lack of results and burned out, or close to it.  The difference now is I really like working out.  The frustration is realizing that I didn’t have to figure things out all on my own.  Just like learning a skill or trade, it is much quicker and less frustrating to have someone teach you the how and give you some hints to continue.  Working out with Ian has helped me move a huge distance in a surprisingly small amount of time. 

I am very thankful that Ian thought to send me that e-mail about the fat furnace.  If you know someone like the ‘old me,’ encourage them to find Ian, or their own ‘Ian,’ to help them move forward.  They will be immensely thankful for it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment