Tuesday, June 5, 2018

 JUNE SPOTLIGHT


MARY ANN CHAPMAN

I am 63 years young and just ran a 10-mile race at the end of May!  That in itself should be enough to expound the benefits of making a serious lifestyle change.  But let me tell you more.  

A few years ago I realized I had lost the battle of balancing work with my personal well-being and tried unsuccessfully to make changes on my own.  Eight months ago I was 40 pounds heavier, had little strength or balance, and was going down a path that would result in serious health issues.  I was especially concerned I had not yet taken steps to strengthen my bones as I aged and was afraid of training with weights on my own.  

I knew I had to find a gym in which I would feel comfortable.  One that was small, would provide me with personalized attention, challenge me, and hold me accountable.  While researching options I came across Pumps Fitness and their 6-week challenge.  In reading about Pumps Fitness, and after meeting Ian Bowen, the owner and head trainer, I knew I had found a gym where I would not be judged and would feel comfortable in my own skin.  

And so, with the support of my husband, I began my wellness journey.  Initially I could barely complete 20 seconds of continuous jumping jacks!  I knew I had a long road ahead of me but Pumps Fitness provided me with the tools I would need to succeed — an exercise plan, a nutrition plan, weekly newsletters, daily motivations emails, and extra help anytime I needed it.  

As I progressed in my training I also took advantage of small group classes and gave Pilates Reformer a try as well, all of which I have loved.  I have learned to set goals for myself and to celebrate even the smallest success.  I have learned to focus on non-scale victories (fit of clothes, how I feel, increased health, strength and balance, and reaching goals I have set for myself).  It hasn’t been easy and I have had to refocus on more than one occasion.  I maintain a Wellness Journal on FB so my friends and family can help hold me accountable.  My biggest challenge is sticking to the nutrition plan and drinking the recommended ounces of water each day, on a consistent basis, as well as not getting hung up on numbers i.e. pounds or inches lost.  

I know this is a lifestyle change and I still have a ways to go but with the positive support of my trainer and those I work out with, I will get there!  Oh, and did I tell you that my next big goal is to run my first half-marathon in the fall?  

2 comments:

  1. And a marathon next year with one of your adoring daughters! So proud of you mom! You're so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of my sister for starting this program & sticking to it. And I am thankful she found such a great gym with caring people to support her & show her the way to achieve her goals! Keep up the good work Mary Ann!

    ReplyDelete